Monday, March 28, 2011

Activism Blog 2

Activism: 
 This week I got the opportunity to table with NOW twice to market our event “Take Back the Night” which was an event bringing awareness to the prevalence of domestic violence and sexual assault against all people. I tabled on Wednesday from 11am – 2pm and on Thursday from 1030-12. While we tabled, I advertised for “Take Back the Night” and VOX’s event “Let’s Talk about Sex, Baby”. I went to the free speech lawn for a few hours and handed out fliers, which actually turned out to be an educational experience because I learned what the best ways were to get people to stop avoiding me and to take my flier. I never knew how many ways and to what extent people would go to in order to avoid people with fliers. Furthermore, helped the VP of NOW, Kelly Q, set up for “Take Back the Night” and present a few speakers. In preparation for the event I went to Kelly Q’s apartment and made a few posters for the march which took about 4 hours. All in all, I’m really happy about the amount of work I was able to contribute to NOW this week.
Reflection:
While learning about women in the workplace this week, Veronica Chambers’ article “To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Expected: Successful Women, Family, and Responsibility (2003)” really stood out to me as a text with which I can relate the events of “Take Back the Night”. “Take Back the Night” was all about giving back to the community in bringing awareness of domestic and sexual violence. There were many volunteer speakers and performers from all different walks of life, some men, women, homosexual, heterosexual, victims and survivors. Chambers’ article relayed the idea that people should give back to their community in a way that suits them as individuals. Each individual whether in their performance or speech gave back to the audience and the community in a way that was pulled from their experiences and that is true to themselves. The event was not about over-exerting one’s financial means or completely draining their resources just to fulfill their responsibility to the community betterment. Furthermore, one crucial aspect of Chambers’ article is taking care of one’s self while giving back. The speakers at the event were people who knew of violence in their families or who have experienced it first hand – by participating in the event they were healing as well as helping.
Reciprocity:
Overall, I think I got a lot out of “Take Back the Night”. The march was the most empowering thing I think I’ve experienced in a long time and it was so exciting for me to be able to connect with so many different people – for a short time we all had one voice and one purpose. I met Leandra Preston, the closing speaker who is also going to be my Theories of Masculinity professor in the fall and talking to her was so empowering because I’ve heard she is such an amazing and powerful individual and hearing that she was just as excited about “Take Back the Night” as I was was inspirational. Speaking of inspirational, Michael Freeman, from the Office of Diversity Initiatives has always been a role model of mine, since I came to UCF and heard him speak in my sociology class. He is such a powerful speaker and he repeatedly said that he has committed himself to making UCF and our community a more accepting, safe place and I felt so inspired by his speech that I made a commitment of my own – I dedicate myself as a student and as an empowered person to make social change and to be someone who anyone can come to for help with demonstrations, change, petitions , anything I can do to help make our community a more accepting and safe place for people  to have a voice.

1 comment:

  1. Alexa,
    Wow! You have been very busy. I am so uplifted by your enthusiasm and your commitment to the community. You do an excellent job of speaking about the connections between what you do in SL, the texts, and your own life. Keep up that spirit!

    ReplyDelete